Focalin should not be taken if you or your child:
- Are very anxious, tense, or agitated
- Have an eye problem called glaucoma
- Have tics or Tourette’s syndrome, or a family history of Tourette’s syndrome. Tics are hard to control repeated movements or sounds
- Are taking or have taken within the past 14 days an anti-depression medicine called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor or MAOI
- Are allergic to anything in Focalin
Focalin should not be used in children less than 6 years old because it has not been studied in this age group.
Focalin may not be right for you or your child. Before starting Focalin tell your or your child’s doctor about all health conditions (or a family history of) including:
- Heart problems, heart defects, high blood pressure
- Mental problems including psychosis, mania, bipolar illness, or depression
- Tics or Tourette’s syndrome
- Seizures or have had an abnormal brain wave test (EEG)
Tell your doctor if you or your child is pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding.