Common side effects include:
- Stomach ache
- Decreased appetite
Serious side effects can include the following:
- Sudden death in patients who have heart problems or heart defects
- Stroke and heart attack in adults
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
Tell your doctor if you or your child have any heart problems, heart defects, high blood pressure, or a family history of these problems.
Your doctor should check your or your child’s blood pressure and heart rate regularly during treatment with Focalin. Call your doctor right away if you or your child has any signs of heart problems such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or fainting while taking Focalin.
Mental (Psychiatric) problems:
- New or worse behavior and thought problems
- New or worse bipolar illness
- New or worse aggressive behavior or hostility
Children and Teenagers
- New psychotic symptoms (such as hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious) or new manic symptoms
Tell your doctor about any mental problems you or your child have, or about a family history of suicide, bipolar illness, or depression.
Call your doctor right away if you or your child have any new or worsening mental symptoms or problems while taking Focalin, especially seeing or hearing things that are not real, believing things that are not real, or are suspicious.
Other serious side effects include:
- Slowing of growth (height and weight) in children
- Seizures, mainly in patients with a history of seizures
- Eyesight changes or blurred vision