Why Casein Protein Powder Is A Must-Have Supplement

Casein is slowly becoming one of the popular supplements for muscle and health enthusiasts alike. Imagine not having to take tons of milk every day but instead having an easier consumption option. That is one of the reasons why it is gaining traction. Let’s expound more on it, no?

Components of Casein Protein

Casein and whey are both components of milk, and casein makes up 80% milk protein while whey takes up the remainder 20%. The difference between casein and whey is that casein is digested very slowly while whey is absorbed into the body quickly. This would explain why people who work out a lot prefer whey to casein; however, casein is a tad bit superior to whey.

There are two types of whey, which are micellar casein and casein hydrolysate. A scoop of casein powder has about 24 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbohydrates, and about a gram of fat. Depending on the brand, there could be some micronutrients like calcium added in.

Benefits of Casein Protein

Casein protein powder is one of the best supplements for athletes and bodybuilders. Protein is essential as it contains some amino acids that our bodies may not produce on their own.

Casein can almost be solely responsible for the creation of leucine, an amino acid that is essential for the synthesis of muscle protein.

In a comparison study on those who have consumed protein from those who did not, studies have found out that casein powder can have these benefits:

Antibacterial benefits

Cell studies have suggested that taking casein powder can boost the immune system and act as an antibacterial for the body. Casein can also help to reduce high blood pressure.

Fat loss

Fat loss is one of the main aims of working out and taking casein can help a great deal with that. In fact, those taking casein powder are three times more probable to lose weight than those who do not.

Reduces triglyceride levels

Excessive triglyceride can be harmful to your health, and consumption of casein can be beneficial in reducing these levels.

Researchers discovered that those who consumed casein over a certain period experienced substantial muscle growth and even fat loss compared to those who did not. Those who take casein also lost more fat compared to those who took whey.

Since casein is digested slowly, it is best consumed at night, so the process can occur when there is minimal activity.

Side Effects of Casein Protein Powder

There are floating myths suggesting that taking proteins can cause ill health, but these have been debunked. However, if you have a kidney or liver issue, you need to slow down your protein intake.

You also need to take a step back if you are experiencing bloating after you take protein.

As mentioned, casein is a protein, so you might experience side effects if you have protein allergies.

How to supplement with casein and maximize the benefits?

According to Legion Athletics, “as a high-quality protein source, consuming casein can be a task for the body. If you are going to work out, it is best to either consume casein hydrolysate or whey for easy absorption.”

You can best supplement with casein powder by taking it before bed to give time for maximum absorption. You can easily mix it with water, shake it up in a shaker or a blender and drink it.

Wrapping it Up

Casein is a very underrated source of protein, and consistent intake can help improve your body whether you are on a workout program or not. Indulge in it more, and you will notice a positive difference in time.