Mental health has of late become one of the most undermined health conditions that have not received the attention that they deserve. Some people may think that mental conditions have to do with people who are mad or mentally challenged. Well, this is far from the truth. Many mental conditions may not necessarily have much to do with the above conditions that can still be classified as mental health issues.
Nowadays, people stress out because of different factors, from environmental problems and pandemics to excessive workload or even a Facebook post. So for people who have anxiety, need a good rest, or have troubles with sleeping, simple things like weighted blankets from Mela or other suitable manufacturers will come in handy. But one of the best magic pills everyone can use for free is plain simple but effective journaling using a diary.
What is mental health?
Mental health has to do with all things that encompass our emotional stability, social well-being, and psychological stability that affects how we feel, how we think, and how we act. It will also determine how we socialize with others, how we handle stress, how we make our choices, and how we carry out our day-to-day activities. Mental health is vital for adults and children alike.
Many things contribute to our mental health problems. These are things such as our genes, our life experiences, our traumas and abuses, brain chemistry, and family history among others.
There are many things one can do to improve their mental health problems and become a better person. One such thing is keeping a diary or journaling. In this article, we shall discuss how keeping a diary can support mental health.
How keeping a diary can support mental health
· One of the advantages of keeping a diary is that it helps you to record your struggles and your plans to overcome them. As such journaling is known to help people deal with their anxieties, reduce stress, and helps one to cope with depression.
The fact that you understand that you have a problem means that you are ready to solve these problems. It can help you to set targets and review them over time. As such, it helps you to acknowledge your mental health problems and plan strategies to solve the problem.
· A diary can help you to track your symptoms, concerns, fears, and problems. You can therefore track the day-to-day triggers and try to avoid these in the long run. You can therefore control the triggers, self-track yourself and identify what brings in negative thoughts.
· Keeping a journal is a good way to identify your stressors. However, this is not the only way that you can improve your mental health. Journaling has to go with other strategies such as eating a well-balanced diet and relaxing daily.
Here are other strategies that can help you improve your mental health and keep you happy:
1. You should relax and meditate daily. This is a positive way you can improve your mind and help you feel good.
2. Exercise regularly. This is also another proven method of improving your mind and keeping the whole body engaged.
3. Ensure that you are getting plenty of sleep each night. This is a proven method of relaxing the brain and indeed the whole body.
4. Keep off drugs and alcohol. These substances will not augur well with a healthy mind.