Who is a transgender? The term is used to describe individuals whose gender expression or gender identity doesn’t match with the person’s sex during birth. Life is not easy for the transgender people. There are an extremely limited number of jobs for transgender. Many of those who are employed face workplace discrimination because of a hostile work environment. Many trans people also face problems in finding accommodation. In many areas, they are not even legally protected.
Canada is the world’s first country that carried out a census on non-binary and transgender people. It was discovered that 1 in 300 aged above 15 were non-binary or transgender in the country. It is estimated that 5% of all young adults in the United States are transgender. It is sad that such a huge number of people face problems in the job market.
So what do these people do to find employment opportunities? Where do they turn to for work? The online world doesn’t discriminate. There is no gender bias. Their civil rights won’t be violated.
Best Jobs for Transgender People
The internet is gender neutral. There are many jobs available online that the transgender people can consider. Here are some of the best opportunities for the transgender workers –
• Writing and Editing – Content writing and editing work can be done from anywhere. There is no need to go to any office. So, there cannot be any discrimination.
• Graphic Design – Trans gen folks can also offer graphic design services. This is a job that can be done from home with a computer and a few software products.
• Virtual Assistance – A virtual assistant does a lot of important jobs. The person can answer phones, emails, do administrative tasks, schedule meetings, and make travel arrangements. This job too can be done from home. All that is needed is a strong internet connection and a desire to speak with people. Expertise with communication tools, such as Zoom, GoToMeeting, and Skype are a plus. For this role, the person also needs to be well organized.
• Content Creator – Online content creators on websites like OnlySelects can do freelance work from home and make a lot of money. There is no sex discrimination here. Creators can make money through photos, videos, and live streams.
• Customer Service – You will find customer service employees working in call centers, in the tourism industry, and many other places. They have three main roles. Help a customer make the purchase, solve their issues, and answer any query. Naturally, the job is very important but the work can be done online too.
• Social Media Management – Social media management and marketing and also online reputation management can also be done easily online. There is no need to go to any office, making them very good trans friendly jobs.
• Online tutoring – Online teaching has really taken off during the pandemic. Its popularity is likely to increase even more.
• Transcription – A transcriptionist’s work is to transcribe recorded dictations like medical terminology into a written form. This work requires some initial training, especially knowledge of the terminologies. But the work is quite easy and it pays well too. The transcriber will have to listen to audio recordings first and then type out what the person hears either with a stenotype machine or by using a word processor.
• Online sales and marketing – This refers to digital marketing, which includes bringing traffic to websites and improving the conversion rate, which boosts the ROI. It also involves boosting brand awareness. Various internet marketing strategies can be implemented to get the desired results. The ultimate aim is to bring in sales. This job also involves some training. Many transgender individuals can do this efficiently.
Best Practices for Working Online as a Transgender Person
There may be other people in the organization a trans person may have to work with sometime. There may be a superior who must be reported to. Remember to follow some do’s and don’ts to ensure that there is no employment discrimination and that a healthy work culture is maintained.
• Establishing Boundaries with Clients and Employers – Always establish boundaries when working with employers and even the clients. Right from day one, make it known what is allowed and what isn’t. Everyone should honor gender identity.
• Managing Personal Safety and Security – Try to avoid interpersonal conflict whenever you can. This is important for everyone but more so for the trans gens as they are often discriminated against. There are several de-escalation techniques as well if contact cannot be avoided with people who can create problems.
• Dealing with Discrimination or Harassment – Look for online work from an equal employment opportunity business. This transgender job bank may offer many choices. Remember, there is harassment and discrimination in many workplaces. Try to solve the issue with a friendly approach and a smile if there is a problem. In case it doesn’t work then a transgender law center nearby may help.
• Building a Support Network – Know other trans gen people and meet them. These are like minded people who face the same challenges and experiences. They will surely help.
Sadly, many trans gen people face problems at the workplace, even in the western world. Luckily, there are many freelance work opportunities out there for non-binary and transgender people that can be done online. There is no need to meet difficult and discriminating people regularly. Carry out a job search online and find the right opportunities.