Every once in a while, I’d pick up my kid from soccer practice, and after listening to his detailed reports about the drill and the game, I started to realize he was using quotes to either justify an event or to lift his spirits.
I was curious about how he picked up that habit, so I had a little conversation with him. Soon I realized his team captain is all about inspirational soccer coaching quotes from well-known players and coaches.
To be completely honest, I don’t know a whole lot about soccer. Thus, I decided to do my research, so I could follow, participate, and possibly learn something about the sport.
Surprisingly, I’ve learned quite a bit. Also, I quickly realized that I can apply these soccer coaching quotes to any area of life. Therefore, I compiled a list of the best inspirational, motivational, and funny quotes that left an impression on me.
26 Awesome Coaching Quotes To Spark Motivation
Soccer Coaching Quotes for Young Players
1. “You play football with your head, your legs are there to help you.” — Johan Cruyff
2. “Parents are always asking me, ‘Can you watch my boy play? Do you think he can go pro? Do you think he can get a scholarship?’…They should be more concerned that their children are having fun.” — Jorge Campos, Mexican goalkeeper and striker
3. I don’t believe there is such a thing as a ‘born’ soccer player. Perhaps you are born with certain skills and talents, but quite frankly it seems impossible to me that one is actually born to be an ace soccer player.” — Pelé
4. “Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players. They should be encouraged to try skills without fear of falling.” — Arsene Wenger
5. “There is always someone out there getting better than you by training harder than you.” — Pelé
6. “Sometimes you put your strongest player on the bench just to let others shine. Or you put a right-footed player who can’t do anything on his left on the left side and force him to use his left foot. Of course in that game, you will probably lose because you don’t use your strongest players in their strongest position. But in the end, you will have a player who used his left foot when he was 12 and 13 and 14, and he can use his both feet when he comes into the first team. That’s what we have at Ajax, and I really stand behind that.” — Dennis Bergkamp
7. “You build a player like you build a house. You start with the foundations. The fundamentals.” — Arsene Wenger
Soccer Coaching Quotes About Teamwork
8. “To be the ultimate team, you must use your body and your mind. Draw upon the resources of your teammates. Choose your steps wisely, and you will win. Remember, only teams succeed.” — José Mourinho
9. “I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.” — Mia Hamm
10. “On poor teams, captains lead by popularity. On great teams, captains lead by example. They arrive early, stay late, train hard, and apply the same high standards off the field.” — Gary Curneen
11. “I believe in work, in connections between the players, I think what makes football great is that it is a team sport. You can win in different ways, by being more of a team, or by having better individual players. It is the team ethic that interests me, always.” — Arsene Wenger
12. “Great teams are not made up of many well-rounded players. Great teams are made up of a variety of players, each having their own strengths.” — Pelé
13. “I am constantly being asked about individuals. The only way to win is as a team. Football (soccer) is not about one, or two, or three star players.” — Pelé
14. “We need the whole squad, every player on the team, if we want to be successful.” — Pep Guardiola
15. “In my team, I don’t want selfish players. I prefer to lose a game than have selfish players. I don’t want that in my club. Never.” — Antonio Conte
Inspirational Coaching Quotes About Soccer And Life
16. “I learned all about life with a ball at my feet.” — Ronaldinho
17. “When the technique doesn’t arrive at the best level, arrive with your heart, with head, with enthusiasm, with passion, with work.” — Antonio Conte
18. “The moral values I’ve learned in my life I’ve learned through soccer.” — Arsene Wenger
19. “Football is an art, like dancing is an art — but only when it’s well done does it become an art.” — Arsene Wenger
20. “There is no room for criticism on the training field. For a player — and for any human being — there is nothing better than hearing ‘well done.’ Those are the two best words ever invented in sports. You don’t need to use superlatives.” — Sir Alex Ferguson
21. “A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you’re the best, and then make sure that you are.” — Bill Shankly
Funny Coaching Quotes
22. “A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” — Bill Shankly
23. “Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw.” — Ron Atkinson
24. “We must have had 99% of the game. It was the other 3% that cost us the match.” ― Ruud Gullit
25. “We lost because we didn’t win.” ― Ronaldo
26. “The first 90 minutes are the most important.” — Sir Bobby Robson
The Final Say
Finally, after reading through a great number of quotes, I completely understand where my son’s coach is coming from. He’s teaching the kids something more important than soccer. He’s educating them on integrity, teamwork, and loyalty.
Soccer coaching quotes also talk about dedication, perseverance, and hard work. Every child can identify with the sayings of their favorite player and apply them both on and off the field.
So, next time you are looking for something to boost your morale, come back to these soccer coaching quotes. You’ll find a decent dose of inspiration in the most unexpected place, and I’m sure we can all learn something from them, even if we don’t play soccer.